Due to a scheduling the montly Support Group Meeting scheduled for September is cancelled. The meeting will resume on October 14, 2014. For additional information, click HERE.
Join us on Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 12:00 noon in the Pond Room for a unique Jenks Center-Griffin Museum photography presentation featuring the works of Astrid Reischwitz, Noah David Bau, Meg Birnbaum, Gail Samuelson, Rick Colson and Jim Nickelson. For detailed information about this unique event, click HERE.
For the third year, the Cummings Foundation has granted $10 million dollars to 100 non-profit programs in communities where employees of the Cummings Properties live. This is known as the “100K for 100”.
The Council on Aging was honored this past January when the Cummings Foundation invited us, as a direct service program, to submit a grant request for the expansion of our services. We were deeply honored when the review committee selected us as one of their 100 honorees.
The Council on Aging is the local government agency requested by the Executive Office of Elder Affairs and the Federal Administration on Aging to serve Winchester’s aging population. The Council on Aging, an eleven person Town Appointed Board, has identified as its mission the following: “To identify the needs of seniors and to meet those needs through programs, direct service, education, and advocacy.” To this end the COA has hired a professional staff.
Through this grant the Council intends to extend our present services in the following ways:
- Extend nursing hours to include individual management and education about medication and to provide advocacy with healthcare providers for those seniors who request it.
- Increase our nutrition services to frail seniors who do not cook or have limited incomes so they may improve their diets.
- Provide helpful education about aging issues in programs that meet at night and on weekends to those seniors who work or care for others and cannot come to our day programs.
- Expand the COA transportation program by adding a taxi voucher program and a COA operated bus.
- Increase our ability to communicate with Winchester’s elders.
Our goal with this grant is to enhance our outreach and services to the widest possible population of Winchester Seniors.